Sunday, January 1, 2012

5 Tips for Keeping Warmer Indoors in the Winter

Save money. Help the planet by conserving resources. Tips I use to save money on heating costs as a renter.
Heating costs are a big concern to many who live in colder climates. I live in an apartment on a fixed income but I have discovered some low tech ideas, that might be useful to others that have helped me and would be interested in hearing what other people do to keep warm.

1. I shut off rooms I'm not using much during the day by shutting doors or putting up curtains between living spaces. I have electric heat, so I turn down the thermostats in the rooms I'm not using for a few hours to 60 degrees. I can easily tell if my curtain is working as a heat/cold barrier by checking the temperature in the curtained off rooms. The barrier is thick enough if the room behind the curtain is significantly cooler. Doors are best, but curtains work surprisingly well. I have bought fabric and made my own curtains before but sheets and blankets work surprisingly well.  Sheets may have to be doubled, blankets usually provide good coverage, and I imagine a simple tarp might work.  I hang my "curtain" so that it is only about one inch from the floor so that cold drafts of air don't escape from the bottom.
2. I wear at least two or three layers of clothing inside my house. Like many hikers and campers in cooler weather, I have found that investing in long underwear and sweaters helps keep me comfortable and I can take off a layer if I'm exercising or feel overheated.
3. For activities where I'm sitting for longer periods of time, I keep "lap" blankets to cover my legs and belly. I  try to let people know in advance that my house is kept cooler in the winter. I also keep extra lap blankets for guests. Older people seem to especially appreciate also having a shawl over their shoulders.
3. I experimented with the idea of seeing "how low can I turn down the heat and still feel comfortable." Everyone seems to have different warmth and comfort levels.
4. I drink lots warm fluids in the winter to help keep me hydrated in the cooler, dryer air.  Eating nutritious foods at regular meal times even if they are the old fashioned "stretch the food dollar" with homemade soups and stews, seems to help me maintain a higher body heat balance.
5. Keeping an electric portable heater near sitting areas seems to help keep my feet and legs warmer and I can place it near where I'm sitting doing crafts, reading or working on the computer. The small electric heater does seem to raise the overall temperature of the room somewhat but most importantly the heat source is where I need it, closer to where I do activities that involve sitting or resting.

No comments:

Post a Comment