Thursday, November 25, 2010

Clearing the clutter/ Developing a Philosophy and Goals


 It's a new idea for me to try and live more simply as much as I can. It is an idea that has been around a while but people are starting to think about ways to do this. People are starting to wonder at the debt that they are suddenly in, and are starting to notice all the time and effort they put in to try and store, maintain and get rid of all of their things.Some people are starting to wonder what is important in life and what isn't. I know I have. Here are four things that worked for me.

1. I decided to take "control" and to own up to living in a "consumer oriented culture" where my main choices seem to revolve around what I buy. To get rid of old ideas that occasionally still pop up in my mind like... " I worked ..., I deserve "stuff" for it." I now counter  ask myself....  " How do those thoughts enter my thinking process?" "Where do these thoughts come from? What messages have I received?" Can I become more aware of my attachment to physical things and learn to let go?

2. Having a philosophy that includes the hope that we can all learn to live more sustainably by living more simply has helped me to establish a personal philosophy that requires a commitment on my part.
3. Looking at different blog posts and other informational sites on the internet helped. I could see what other people are doing. How they are "living with less." I also talked to people who were interested in this subject and asked them questions. A friend of mine who is a minimalist, said that he believes that everything needs to have a function. I decided that for me, I also like aesthetics.

4. I made a goal that I would get rid of at least one whole room of my house and live in two rooms. I now have a large eat in kitchen which now serves four functions, a work space, a craft table, an entertaining area with a couch for guests and as a functional kitchen. The couch is across from the table, to the right of the picture so that people can talk to each other while sitting at the table or on the couch. I also have a goal to get rid of all of the stuff from the former living room area.


No comments:

Post a Comment